Saturday, June 26, 2010

Exercise Combats Stress

Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and think the best way to get back to sleep might be to work out? I had this thought for the first time ever at about 3:30 a.m. this morning. There was some sort of domestic dispute happening outside my bedroom window that woke me up. Once I got over the idea that something terrible was going to go down that would require my calling 911, I was relieved, but wide-awake. I mean, completely awake. I had that post-alarm adrenaline coursing through my veins. It seems that the best way to flush that feeling out of the system is physical exertion. I’ve heard tell that this is an evolutionary relic of our days as prehistoric people, when we had to flee from predators. Interesting concept. The idea is that when we experience stress of any sort, our bodies still want to run away from it. Or confront it. But in either case, it’s a physical response, a call to action to deal with it. Hey, maybe that explains all those people with anger management problems. Whoa. Anyway, so, it’s the middle of the night and I get a fright hearing people arguing outside my window, and I want to reach for my Melt It Off with Mitch video and G-Ball and flush the adrenaline out of my system. Why didn’t I, you might ask. Well, because I’ve recently moved to a second-floor apartment and I rather doubt my neighbor would appreciate those jumping jacks and high kicks. Just a guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment